Next DSLR Short Course Starting in April
This very practical workshop runs over four Saturdays from 09h00 to 15h00 with a half hour for lunch. The course is run at the UCT Television Studio at the Baxter Theatre Complex in Rondebosch. You will learn how to conceptualize, script, shotlist, shoot, structure, edit, export and upload a 3- minute character driven film using your DSLR camera. You will edit your films on your own laptop using Adobe Premiere Pro. (A trial version will be provided for the duration of the workshop).
You will be expected to film video material for course projects in-between the four Saturday workshops - so please plan to have time available to do so. Check with us if you need more clarity on this.
Our workshops cover
• DSLR filming, basic lighting and sound,
• Finding good stories and how to tell them
• Researching stories, writing a shooting script and shotlisting
• Structuring stories for viewers to understand
• Filming Interviews –the heart of your story
• Writing the edit script
• Editing for DSLR cameras on Adobe Premiere Pro
• Recording voice-overs
• Polishing your film, adding captions, credits etc
• Viewing, exporting and uploading your film
IMPORTANT: Minimum equipment required for attending our workshop:
• A DSLR camera capable of recording HD video. See for example https://www.ormsdirect.co.za/canon-eos-700d-dslr-with-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm-lens-1841 - the key thing here is that your DSLR must have an audio input.
• A compatible external VideoMic as well as a SmartLav lapel mic.
• External VideoMic: See example at http://www.studio22online.co.za/shop/audio/rodevideomic- directional-on-camera-microphone-now-with-rycote-suspension/ The External VideoMic will be used to record good quality ambient sound.
• SmartLav: See example at http://www.studio22online.co.za/shop/accessories/rodesmartlav- lavalier-microphone-smartphones-2/ The SmartLav will be used for recording good interview audio. Please note that the SmartLav requires a smartphone to record the audio. An iPhone/iPad works great as does Android and some blackberry phones are also supported. Please check your model with us.
• You will also need a sturdy tripod.
• For editing you will require a laptop running Windows 7/8 64bit (32bit not supported) or an Apple MacBook running OSX.
• Your laptop should have at least 4GB RAM and a 500GB hard drive.
The full cost is R4 560 (VAT incl.) for one person.
The full fee is payable immediately to secure your place on the workshop.
Please confirm your interest in attending and we will send you a company VAT invoice.
We cannot confirm dates for a workshop until we have 6 paid-up participants.
When we do we will agree a starting date that suits everyone.
If for any reason we have to cancel a course all fees already transferred will be paid back to you immediately.
Please email us on email@example.com or call Hein on 083 267 4068 during business hours for more information.