Home > JOB OPPORTUNITY: SHORT COURSE PROGRAMME MANAGER
JOB OPPORTUNITY: SHORT COURSE PROGRAMME MANAGER
29 Jun 2021 - 11:00
UCT SUNSHINE CINEMA FILM SCREENING IMPACT FACILITATOR SHORT COURSE PROGRAMME MANAGER
Centre for Film and Media Studies
Faculty of Humanities
University of Cape Town
The University of Cape Town is the premiere university in Africa with an international reputation for excellence in teaching and research. The Centre for Film and Media Studies at the University of Cape Town offers a range of courses that equip graduates with the theoretical knowledge and practical skills to embark on a career in the film and media industry.
The Centre for Film and Media Studies in collaboration with the NGO Sunshine Cinema is offering a six month FIlmScreening Impact Facilitator Short Course from June 2021. We are looking for a programme manager to join the team from August 2021 - January 2022 on a part time, short term contract basis. We need someone who can work from home; must have high speed internet access and their own computer for online teaching and should be available to commence work on Tue 2 August.
The successful candidate will have industry experience; a relevant academic qualification; knowledge of documentary film impact strategy design; and teaching experience. S/he will work alongside UCT, NGO partner and freelance colleagues and will be required to manage and oversee all aspects of the online course that will be hosted on the UCT Vula learning platform, MS Teams and other channels.
● Postgraduate qualification in film and/or media studies, preferably specialising in film production, documentary film or film impact producing/strategy design
● Demonstrable knowledge of the global film impact ecosystem
● Demonstrable knowledge of social change theory
● Demonstrable field experience designing and/or implementing social change strategy (preferably incorporating the use of media)
● Demonstrable knowledge of global best practice models for impact producing (as outlined in e.g. the DocSocietyImpact Field Guide)
● Qualification in and/or demonstrable experience teaching, preferably in the film or media studies fields
● Excellent written and verbal communication in English and at least one other official South African language
● Demonstrable experience working in and leading diverse teams
● Demonstrable knowledge of and ability to contact African documentary filmmakers and impact producers
● Uncapped wifi and own computer capable of hosting synchronous online meetings (MS Teams, Zoom), recording video and collaborative online site editing (Vula)
● Demonstrable experience using an online learning platform back-end (preferably Sakai)
The following will be advantageous:
● Demonstrable experience in:
○ Project management
○ Curriculum/course design
○ Learning content creation
○ Using the UCT online learning platform Vula
● Knowledge of UCT administrative processes
● Based in Cape Town for face to face meetings as required
● Work closely with the course convenor to ensure a high standard of delivery of the course and an optimal learning experience for all participants
● Liaise with UCT academic staff members, UCT HR and NGO partners
● Source and liaise with course guest lecturers; brief them on teaching requirements as well as UCT administrative processes
● Manage and oversee others in the team
● Provide guidance to and field queries students about course content, assessments, learning platform access & use, and other matters relating to course
● Refer issues efficiently as needed
● Facilitate and host synchronous online classes
● Teach allocated lessons (including creating presentations, text-based content, presenting pre-recorded videos and hosting/facilitating synchronous online classes using MS Teams or Zoom)
● On-going course content creation, improvement and content support
● Encourage and facilitate peer interaction and peer-to-peer learning
● Provide student details to and liaise with departmental administrator to ensure all students are registered on PeopleSoft
● Liaise with departmental administrator to request issuing of certificates
● Quality control course content and recommend improvements as needed
● Gather relevant data and write reports for UCT and NGO stakeholders
● Timeframe: August 2021 - January 2021
● This is a six month, part-time, project based position.
● The successful candidate may reapply for future contracts as applicable, but should have no expectation that this contract will be renewed.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line FAM4010CE PM 21-22 application
- Cover letter (motivation)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- 2 reference letters from contactable references
An application that does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete and may not be considered. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted, invited to an interview and may be required to do a presentation.
Closing date: COB Wed 14 July 2021
Presentations and interviews will be conducted 19 - 23 July 2021
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf UCT reserves the right not to appoint.