Impact Springboard 2019
UCT ScreenCubator and Encounters South African International Film Festival present:
Supported by the Centre for Film and Media Studies, Fox Foundation, Bertha Foundation, Sunshine Cinema, Documentary Filmmakers’ Association, UCT TV.
Are you ready to design an impact strategy for your social justice film but you just need support and little seed funding to get you going?
Pitch your impact strategy on 15 June during Encounters to compete for a grant package valued at over R10 000.
1. submit a proposal using the template below by Mon 20 May
2. proposals will be evaluated by a selection panel
3. shortlisted candidates will be informed by Mon 3 June
4. shortlisted candidates will pitch their projects to a panel of experts in the field
on Saturday 15 June
5. grant recipients will be informed after the pitches
How you can benefit:
All shortlisted candidates will receive:
• intensive feedback from the panel on the pitch day
• consideration for screening by Sunshine Cinema at one or more location
including Alice (Eastern Cape), QwaQwa (Free State), Lebowkgomo,
(Limpopo), Kitwe (Copper Belt, Zambia)
• a consultation with Liani Maasdorp (documentary film lecturer, UCT
Grant winners will additionally receive the following package:
• 2 intensive consultations with award winning impact producer Anita
Khanna (Miners Shot Down, Everything Must Fall)
• R6000 seed funding
• an invitation to screen your film at DocLove (supported by the
Documentary Filmmakers’ Association) & marketing of the event through
the DFA, UCT and Encounters networks
• an invitation to screen the film on UCT campus, academic screening fee
& marketing of the event through the UCT and Encounters networks
Musa Gwebani is an activist and co-head of programmes at the Social
Justice Coalition (SJC).
Dr Liani Maasdorp is a senior lecturer in the Centre for Film & Media
Studies, University of Cape Town, convener of the MA: Documentary Arts and
producer of Strike a Rock (IDFA, Sheffield DocFest, Encounters, DIFF).
Miki Redelinghuys is an award winning documentary filmmaker who
believes in the power of film for change. Her recent film, This Land, screened
across South Africa as part of the national dialogue on land rights and structural
inequality. She is currently studying towards a Masters in Documentary Arts at
UCT with Impact as a focus. She is a founding member of the DFA and director
of Plexus Films.
• applications are open to filmmakers and/or impact producers
• films must be complete or in a late stage of post production
• you’ll need to prepare a max 10 min pitch per project (regardless of
whether one or two people pitch)
• pitches must be presented in person on 15 June
• unfortunately UCT, Encounters and our partners can’t provide any
transport, accommodation or other financial support for candidates to
attend the event